This is an Academic Year Position.
Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate foodservice program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community totaling 5500 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff and administrators.
RESIDENTIAL DINING CENTERS ARE OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK. WORKING WEEKENDS & EVENINGS WILL BE EXPECTED.
What You'll Do
The Food Service Worker will provide outstanding service to customers by engaging in a variety of general food service and hospitality related tasks. The Food Service Worker will consistently greet, welcome and interact with customers in a warm, friendly manner to promote an atmosphere of hospitality and familiarity. They will be knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation methods of food served, especially with regards to the presence of potential allergens.
The Food Service Worker will prepare, assemble and/or serve various foods and beverages in a professional manner. They will keep assigned food service stations well-tended and ensure storage areas are properly stocked. They will set-up and maintain assigned food service stations throughout service periods and will assist elsewhere in the unit as customer demand requires. They will break-down, clean and sanitize food service stations including service equipment and dining room seating areas according to established procedures throughout service periods.
The Food Service Worker will set-up, work, and break down all stations and dining room as required. They will assist the culinary staff with basic food service tasks such as carving meats, light cooking and food and beverage preparation. They will assist with steaming, frying, reheating, grilling, garnishing, and food display. General cleaning tasks in accordance with accepted food service sanitation standards that are assigned as part of the daily unit housekeeping and sanitation schedules. They will provide table service and other related tasks for special events. They will be able to handle cash appropriately, count cash drawer, deposit in accordance with cash handling procedures, and operate the department POS system. Must demonstrate the ability to work under periods of fast pace and high pressure.
All employees are responsible for punching in and out in accordance with department policy and standards. They must be given permission from a manager to punch in early or stay past their schedule "out time.” All employees will adhere to posted schedule and all requests for time off will be granted based on business needs. In accordance with the CBA, schedules will be posted 14 days (excludes catering) in advance. Time off requests must follow proper procedure and will be approved/denied in accordance with department needs. No requests will be honored for Senior Week, Holidays, Alumni and Parents' Weekend, Commencement, Orientation, Matriculation, or Special Events during the Academic Year.
What We're Looking For
- Must have tolerance for long shifts standing, walking, lifting, and performing various other repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English in order to communicate effectively with management, peers and customers.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to comfortably interact with customers and peers in a friendly, helpful manner.
- Must be able to understand and perform basic food service sanitation and safety practices.
- Must have the ability to take direction from leadership, and to understand job requirements and show initiative in completing related customer service job tasks.
- Must have an appreciation for teamwork and willingness to work together with peers.
- Must be a team player who is willing to be held accountable for the quality of products produced by others, for meeting tight deadlines, and for contributing to the success of the operation.
- Broad range of food service experience.
- Mastery of all DSA duties.
- Successful high-volume customer service and hospitality experience.
- Previous cashier experience and having worked with POS systems.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.