A Trades Generalist
functions as a skilled worker in a primary trade, and also performs a variety of skilled and semiskilled activities in one or a combination of other related trades in response to maintenance program requirements. The services performed by Trades Generalist vary from position to position so that the listing of specific activities and tasks is impracticable. However, Trades Generalists have one responsibility in common, that of performing a variety of skilled and semiskilled maintenance, repair, installation and construction tasks in the mechanical, building, motor equipment and electrical trades.
A Trades Generalist uses the hand tools, portable power tools, shop equipment and measuring and testing instruments appropriate for the craft or crafts to which assigned.
This is a first-line position in which the candidate should expect to spend a majority of their time in the field responding to daily service requests (work orders) in support of the University's energy management equipment. This equipment would consist of the building automation direct digital controllers, air handlers, VAV boxes, fin radiation, fan coil units etc.
In some cases the Trade Generalist will be responsible for directing a Maintenance Assistant who will assist in the field tasks.
Key responsibilities include:
* Respond to daily service requests (work orders)
* Perform a variety of trouble shooting, installation, repair, and maintenance tasks.
* Diagnose, troubleshoot and service building automation systems (BAS) and electrical/mechanical equipment of all types found on campus. These are mechanical, electrical and computerized equipment used to perform energy management and climate control.
* Use computer to document service work performed
* Operate computers used in the field of direct digital controls (D.D.C.)
* Perform the removal or installation of electrical/mechanical building control equipment and systems
* Involved in all facets of small mechanical equipment and building control system (BCS) projects
* Provide high level of customer service
* Expected to perform emergency service promptly when-notified
* Read and understand prints and schematics
* Work with and direct outside contractors when necessary
The candidate must detail their qualifications and submit appropriate documentation with their application to clearly explain and demonstrates their skills and competency for this position
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.