Research/Technical/Laboratory Agriculture/Animal Care
UB’s Office of Research Compliance is seeking to hire an Animal Research Compliance Specialist to manage post-approval monitoring for animal research activity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Post-Approval Monitoring * Develop and manages the compliance program for animal research including managing post-approval monitoring (PAM) in collaboration with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and the Laboratory Animal Facility.
* Establish and implement a standardized monitoring/evaluation system for the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee's animal care protocols, procedures and records.
* Perform animal research protocol monitoring including observation of surgeries/procedures, interviews with investigators and laboratory personnel and inspection of animal use records to ensure protocol compliance either individually or as part of an evaluation team.
* Review and evaluate qualifications of laboratory personnel to ensure individuals are properly trained and/or experienced to perform procedures utilizing animals. Make recommendations when additional training or assistance is needed or requests observation by veterinary services.
* Determine if posted safety requirements are being followed. Brings any issues of serious noncompliance to the immediate attention of the IACUC.
* At the request of the IACUC, conduct full investigations of reported compliance deficiencies and/or reports of animal welfare concern.
* Provide monthly reports to the IACUC Chair and others regarding activities including a summary of site visits, incidences, animal welfare issues or compliance problems.
* Prepare reports and advises the institution (VP for Research), IACUC, investigators and facility personnel in connection with achieving and maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements.
IACUC Administration Compliance Activities * Review and certify that proposed animal use activities detailed in grants and contracts are in compliance with federal regulations and consistent with the IACUC approved project. Initiates corrective action if necessary.
* Work collaboratively with IACUC Administrator and Chair in carrying out IACUC-related compliance activities including OLAW-required semi-annual inspections and reports, USDA on-site inspections and required annual reports to animal welfare oversight organizations such as AAALAC.
* Provide counsel on potential compliance issues involving protocols under consideration by the IACUC.
* Attend monthly IACUC meetings to answer committee questions about PAM reports and other compliance matters.
* Recommend and provide guidance on methods to resolve any animal welfare noncompliance issues.
Outstanding Benefits PackageWorking at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.