On-Call Police Telecommunications Operator
On-Call Police Telecommunications Operator
St. Edward's University of Austin, Texas invites applications for the position of On-Call Police Telecommunications Operator
St. Edward's University
. Perform responsibilities as a Part Time Telecommunications Operator for St. Edward's University. Responsible for directing the activities of field personnel and providing patrol units with actionable information, and related law enforcement activities, consistent with the university mission, vision, and operating principles.
Requirement of Position
: On-Call Telecommunications Operator is a pooled position and works various hours (days, nights, weekends and holidays) for special events such as sporting games, commencement ceremonies, festivals, guest speakers, vacancies, coverage for full-time staff leave, etc.
- Currently licensed or eligible to obtain a TCOLE Telecommunications license with at least 2 years prior public safety dispatch experience required.
- High school graduation or GED.
- Ability to obtain and maintain State of Texas mandated licenses & certifications and training requirements as directed by Federal Communications Commission, State of Texas and Federal agencies and Departmental policy and regulations.
- Must pass an extensive background investigation, fingerprinting, and psychological test
- Not currently under indictment for any criminal offense;
- No convictions of a class B or higher misdemeanor or its equivalent
- Never been convicted of any family violence offense;
- Ability to use a multi-line phone system.
- Basic computer knowledge of Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Thinks and acts promptly; using good judgment in emergencies; analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Must be able to communicate and be understood clearly in person, on the telephone, by radio and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to comply with workplace guidelines and attendance requirements.
- After training, ability and skill in the use of police radio equipment, telephones, and accurate data entry.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Bilingual speaking in Spanish
- Prior University or College Law Enforcement Communications Experience
HOW TO APPLY
- Receive and provide response to emergency and informational telephone calls
- Initiate and receive public safety radio traffic using a multi-band law enforcement network to dispatch police officers; monitor frequencies of area law enforcement agencies; maintain logs according to regulations.
- Thinks and acts promptly in emergencies, analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action. Simultaneously operates multi-line phone system, police radio and computer aided dispatch system
- Maintains records of incoming calls for assistance and all police/patrol activities.
- Dispatches officers to situations requiring police response.
- Monitors CCTV system.
- Completes appropriate reports.
- Communicates with other police/fire/ambulance agencies, and operates various computer terminals including the CAD, "Computer Aided Dispatch" system. Performs related duties as required.
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
. Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references
. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.
In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students.
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.